Doubts in X-rays experiment

D1: In an X-Ray tube experiment, why is the emission spectra obtained, a continuous graph? Shouldn’t all the incident electrons be of the same voltage, and thus the emitted electrons should also have specific values of lambda only, that correspond to transition energies?

D2: Cleared by @LaveshGupta

@AshWin @Svanay_Lappu @LaveshGupta @Cooljet123 and everyone else

2 Likes

Only for Kalpha lines we have to remember. Bansal me test paper me baaki screening constants ki value given hoti thi except Kalpha which we have to remember.

1 Like

Continuous X-Rays are formed due to electron losing it’s energy when it is decelerated by nucleus. All incident electrons have same K.E. but different electrons lose diff. amount of energy and thus there different wavelengths corresponding to different energies lost.

2 Likes

This cleared a lot of doubts in one go. Nice.

So, if we raise the accelerating voltage to ungodly levels, would the emission spectra become more non- continuous?

2 Likes

If we make accelerating voltage very high then cutoff wavelength decreases, and the intensities for each wavelength should decrease.

1 Like

I think you’re confusing between continuous and characteristic x-rays. The peaks in the graph are the ones produced by electron transitions that you are taking about and they are characteristic x-rays.

1 Like

I know they are distinct, I just didn’t know why continuous X rays were even produced, back then. @Svanay_Lappu

I understand it now though

1 Like