Drop Year Advice

Hello Guys,
If some of you do not know, I got CRL 4.5k in JEE (A) (Marks 151) this year, CRL 5.8k (January %ile) in JEE (M) and 332 in BITSAT. I did not expect anything after how I had performed in the JEE(A) paper. My performance was average in all three exams.

I do not know which college or branch I will get at the end of JoSAA counselling, but I can’t waste this one month of counselling time, because I do not have high hopes that this rank will fetch me the college or branch I desire. So, I decided that I will be repeating for 2021, and will aim for two or three digit rank this time. 7 months is a long time and I hope I will be able to achieve it.

I do not know what help to ask from you guys. Can you guys suggest me what I can do? I do have some things in my mind but your opinions, experience, suggestions will definitely help me to know what toppers do. So, please guide me to uplift myself from the current level that I am at. :pray:

Not tagging anyone. Anyone kind enough to spare 5-10 mins for me, may help. Thanking in anticipation! :pray:

27 Likes

Same position. Except I’m partial dropping with two degrees. Pleej help someone. Give both of us tips.

8 Likes

Congrats bro for such a great rank …top 5k is a dream for me

5 Likes

Sabka dream alag alag hota hh. :disappointed_relieved:

Everyone liked and went…

4 Likes

I need time to write an answer, give me time until evening.
Till then, don’t worry too much and discuss things with your parents.

6 Likes

does not have a good rank to guide you for a drop, but i would like to tell some things ,

with ur jee main and jee adv rank it is clear that you are good with most of the concepts,

you should go for more and more jee adv papers this time, more and more practise similar to jee adv can fetch u more good rank.

also while solving jee adv papers you should try to give it in 2:45 hrs , this really helps a lot, last 15 minutes can help u a lot.

8 Likes

@Lavesh firstly kudos for such a rank, I could only dream of something like that.
And I’m pretty sure you don’t need any tips or anything. I’ve received a lot of help from you here and through that and through your marks its clear that you have everything to get the rank you want but you just have to apply it properly.
I can only suggest one thing, just calm down for a day and look over everything. I’m sure you will take the best decision.

6 Likes

I had a drop year… and just need to point out one thing that don’t ignore any chapter, even you have expertise in a particular chapter. Revise topics like conformers, titrations etc as JEE particularly advanced is unpredictable. I had a shitty revision plan. So, a minimum 2-3 full couse revision I would recommend. And afterall, you guys are experts in this exam. Ace it guys…:fire:

3 Likes

Bro you are not considering BITS?

2 Likes

This is extremely helpful that time limit waala tip(my thoughts exactly to boost rank just a week before exam) but it is tough to keep on doing it this way

3 Likes

No bro i gave all papers with this time limit and that helped me to score almost 25-30 marks in last 15 min.
Aur mera total score 65 tha uss paper me.
@Ishaan_Shrivastava

2 Likes

okky…
ill like to mention some points for dont’s in a drop year becz i donts have anything froms do’s and i believe dont’s are too imp …
Firstly i’ll like to mention that the very very big " dont’t" of being a dropper is that you tend loose the enthu …the motivtivation which we all posses durring our school days and it fades day by day…
So the very first tip is to always be motivated throught this 7 monts time frame…

Secondly join a course …even if u have completed the syllabus upto a large extent …becoz as soon as you start detaching from students and friends and competitors it stars acting as a catalyst for the very first point…

Tough i didnt performed well in Adv but from the experience I can say CHEMISTRY is the decider for adv …Physics and Maths can anyday become BEWAFA …but chem is always for U…especially Organic and Inorganic (and I blindly igonored both of these chem portions and f**d up the Adv paper)
Now for particular Subjects…
PHYSICS: seeing this years paper FIITJEE AITS papers of physics is no more a useless thing … Gone are the days where it used to be tough and compared to actual jee paper…So my advice is takeout atleast 1 hr every day and practice 1 paper of FIITJEE AITS Physics section … in time limit
CHEMISTRY; dont have much to suggest… jst one thing plzz go through the inorganic syllbus becoz they are sincerely asking from the extra portions metioned ( reaction of Tin got place in both 2019 & 2020 papers)
MATH: one pattern wich i recog in past two years papers was reduction in % of coordinate geo portion and increase of alzebra ( especially P & C and Prob )

13 Likes

Which “extra portions” for chem inorganic?
They are not present in ncert? Where would you suggest I read them from? @Abhinav.08

1 Like

Like reactions of tin and lead…compounds of iron…etc …these are metioned in adv syllabus

2 Likes

Yeah, I discussed with my parents and my brother who graduated from IIT. Till now the only conclusion that we reached it that: I’ll apply for counselling (which is like 40 days long) and will start studying again. At the end of any counselling round, if I get a decent branch+college, I’ll take it and if not I’ll continue with my drop preparation.

I do not know if the counselling process is hectic or not, but ig i should be able to manage.

Yeah, please write at your convenience.

No hurry. No worry. :v:

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ll plan this thing. Thanks.

2 Likes

Better to go for BITS. Inspite of high fees u vll get good quality of education including ur personality…
What are ur branch preferences?

1 Like

Or else try for home state quota in NIT.

1 Like

@Cooljet123 I hope you remember this , waiting for your response ( take your time but please do not forget to guide us )

4 Likes

how about introspection bro ?
i literally came to see your ranks only but i think i can give some advise
are you sure for your calling in cse if not i think it is time to look inwardly and also ask have i got enough in my tank to get me through 7 months again and looking forward what if you miss again , will you regret this time ? to be frank bro in short term vision it seems IIT is only aim but what about post grad studies delaying them is it appealing to you ?
are you once again ready to severe your ties with world and be a saint ?

7 Likes