Organic Chemistry Doubts (again)

How to do this one? Give hint only please.

1 Like

I tried using reverse thing.Made the ketone/aldehyde and check the feasibilty of attack of CN-

4 Likes

Okay got it. Thanks

Or directly u can say that which is more bulky, CN^{-} will be leave at a faster rate in that reactant

4 Likes

Please try this question:

3 Likes

A and D are correct?

Only A.

Clear now.

4 Likes

Yeah it was a silly mistake

1 Like

In this initially, more e- deficient carbon is near fluorine one, so OMe should attack there and then carbanion formed near Cl is more stable (wrt the CF2 carbanion) due to d-orbital resonance with chlorine, then, why have the made exactly opposite of it?

3 Likes

Is michael addition in syllabus of advanced…like only knowing it’s basic mechanism of conjugate addition would suffice right? Comparison of %yield, retro-michael and all is not there in syllabus?

I think by this way break the double bond in plus-minus charges and see where plus charge should exist, right? If we take a plus charge on one of the two atoms then by resonance(due to lone pairs of Cl, F) there will be a plus charge on F, Cl. Now you can see that F with Plus charge is unstable that’s why plus charge should be on Cl, so carbon attached to Cl should have plus charge where OMe minus can attack.
@LaveshGupta

3 Likes

I think Inductive effect is more significant than Resonance for halogens

3 Likes

By inductive effect we can only judge for sigma electron no? Here pi electrons are to be considered so would we not judge by resonance?

1 Like

Yeah Bro I was really confused because what @EDGE11 is saying is making sense and was contradicting mine.

yeah, this is the reason here. :ok_hand:

1 Like

But isn’t inductive effect purely electrostatic in nature? So it should be considered for pi electrons too

2 Likes

I am not 100% sure about this, coz from what was taught to us: ‘it is permament discplacement of sigma bond electrons towards more electronegative atom’ so i stick to this definition at all times.

2 Likes

Seems incorrect

Yes, selectivity of 1-2 or 1-4 on different nucleophile or substrate can be asked.

3 Likes

These and also effect of temperature, I have covered. Thank you.

3 Likes

Bro @Achyut_Singh , I have found something in Sykes which says we have to form more stable carbanion, but then again they have formed carbanion near F (less stable) and not near Cl (more stable) opposite of what they’re saying…
7.6 Pg. 199

2 Likes

Sry off topic ,can you please tell me which book u follow for organic ,for theory and practice…if you do notmine :relaxed:.