Organic Chemistry Doubts

Idk why I chose for this word document style.
New Microsoft Office Word Document.docx (144.9 KB)

There one physics doubt also at the end.

For the physics one I think when we will put x and y in the formula we have to use the correct sign convention…I mean u=(-x) and v=(+y)

1 Like

Doubt 3: yes, rearrangement doesn’t take place in case of free radical

Doubt 4: I haven’t seen this before but I got one mechanism according to the answer given.
I’m sure I would not have been able to guess this without the product given.

1 Like

Doubt 2: :point_up_2:
One OH will get protonated and H2O will be eleminated.

1 Like

1st and 5th I also didn’t get…

Bro can you share in some other format?

As far as Question 1 is concerned, I think the best possible explanation to the solution is that HOCl being a good oxidising agent further oxidizes the aldehyde to an acid. Similar to how NaOI oxidizes a methyl ketone to a carboxylate ion in iodoform test.

But this is only an explanation to justify the given answer. This is probably one of those questions where the examiner has tried to test your understanding without practical implications. If they ask this question in any examination, please stick with the aldehyde. And wasie bhi carboxylic acid won’t be in the options imo.

2 Likes

Compare the basicity of I and II…?
I didn’t type the answer because then the brain will try to just justify it…so also give the explaination of your answer.
@Seshank
@LaveshGupta
@Navjeet_Kohli

Okay after a bit of contemplation… I’m going with II>I . I vaguely remember doing this question in Himanshu Pandey or Bansal module. One or the other.

Why did you choose II?

CH3 group acts as a +I group and thus increases e- density on C… Thus decreasing the polarity of C-N (single bond)… This decrease in polarity would mean lesser extent of resonance between lp and db. No such factors in 2.

Actually the answer given is I > II. I thought that due to more carbons in 2 there will be more +I effect and the electron density will increase on N and therefore better donor of electron and better base

I>2 because of gunadine effect

1 Like

Wahi resonance dono mei possible haina?

Bro what I know ki gunadine ka basic strength bahut jayada hota hai due to 3 canonical structure or woh 1 wala gunadine effect ka derivative hai islye 1 > 2

Here we have only two equivalent resonating structures (in I) which is the same as (II)

2 Likes

Can 3 degree amine be prepared from reductive amination of Carbonyl compounds? My notes says no, and I have solved a question in test in which 3 degree amine can’t be prepared.

BUT Solomons says that they can be prepared. Someone please confirm which is correct…

Help in this question too. I don’t have solution.

1 Like

afaik it can.

Wait I’ll send a picture.

2 Likes

Do ketone react with Br2/H3O+
I have never seen this reaction so need help.
@Seshank @LaveshGupta @VenkatAmith